Thursday, March 18, 2021

Anxious but Trying to Drive

 Recently I've started learning how to drive, and I can't tell you how excited I was and still am. The first few times were quite jerky, but I eventually was able to control the amount of pressure, and grip I had on the steering wheel. Although I'm not mandated to earn a specific number of hours behind the wheel before taking my drivers test, I want to be well prepared for a number of situations. Therefore, I'll be spending some quality time behind the wheel in various situations until I feel more confident being on the road. 

Some of my friends hopped into driving, but I decided to wait, and I admit, Covid has given me an additional push to go ahead and start learning. I waiting for a few reasons, but one is because I didn't want to quickly attain a license knowing good and well I'm not well experienced. I want to learn how to drive in bad weather, rain, snow, and how to drive defensively PRIOR to encountering the situation. I'm anxiously excited, and I've been doing pretty good at recognizing what frightens me on the road. Once I feel comfortable with things such as envisioning myself blending onto a freeway, or making sharp U-turns, then I'm hoping to hit my lightbulb moment. My dad insist that I try to get familiar driving among others by cruising around at the Mini Grand Prix in the go-carts, and I admit it might help me to get better adjusted and used to the idea of driving. 

I'm still feeling those moments of "I don't even know what I'm doing" and that's when I realize I have a long ways to go. Plus I've been thinking of this little jam I heard on a Fisher Price kids steering wheel toy  that I was playing with called "I've been working on the Railroad". Brought back some serious memories, and I may want to step back and start with the Fisher Price toy. 

What tips, and steps did you take as you learned to drive?


8 comments:

  1. A defensive mindset was my takeaway when I was learning how to drive. I think you definitely have this :-) Obtaining your driving license would be a great milestone! Go Katia go ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Driving is still crazy scary for me. I held off until I was 18. My 16 year old sister thinks she's ready and she recently got her permit, so I took her out to an empty lot. The tip I would like to give you is to TAKE YOUR TIME. There's no rush and that also applies to the road. Also, be on time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with passing your drivers License its been years since I got mine.I was driving way before I had my License and it really helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just remember the speed limit is only a guideline :) If it say 45 that means you can go at least 50 XD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive been driving for years and I still get anxiety about driving sometimes. Especially in California.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Driving is fun, parking is scary, for me at least. I have been driving for over two years now, and its really fun. I'm a cautious driver, but I do take the fast lane on freeways often. My tip is to just stay calm, especially when you miss a turn while late for something, I like to just stay and not panic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I currently still have my permit but I've been practicing for a few months now. Though I don't practice as often anymore, I feel very comfortable just driving around the city. It took me a little while to get comfortable with turning, but with time I eventually began to get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first got my licensee I was super excited, then I became the family Uber and now I see driving as more of a chore than something I actually enjoy, plus Vegas drivers suck.

    ReplyDelete